Monday, July 26, 2010





This is Fred in the front and my neighbor Angus driving the boat, I was on my way down to the beach to try some more fishing when they asked if I would like to go for a ride to Fred's family camp. Which is just a short boat ride from Fort Good Hope up the river. We stopped at the camp, where I met Freds parents, and saw hoe they dry fish, leaving it hanging over the fire. We spoke for e few minutes then Angus suggested that we carry on up the river for some of the most amazing views I have ever seen. After we climbed the the embankment to the top of the cliff, both Fred and Angus told me of a legend that involved two brothers that both protected the village, in a fight for just one leader they challenged each other to walk the ledge. Each of the brothers were to walk on a narrow ledge from the point near where the boat is all the way back to Good Hope. In some of the picture you can see a dark line, that is all that remains of the ledge where they walked. It is said that both brothers made it back to the village, and the whole village celebrated. We got back into the boat and made our way back to the camp for few minutes. When Fred's father told me that they were building a new cabin. I offered to help, and they offered me dry fish in exchange. So on my next day off I am going out to frame a cabin. I tried some of the smoked fish it was great. This is what traveling to the north made everything worth while. After we left, Angus took us across the river to a great little waterfall. I am sure you will agree when you see the pictures.  Just before we got back to the village I was able to take one last picture of the cross that stands in front of the church, it looks great from the water. I knew when I saw it from the top that I wanted a pic from the water, and it is great. Enjoy and have a great night

No comments:

Post a Comment