Saturday, April 24, 2010











This afternoon I decided to walk across the bay towards the DEW line site. It was a bit further than I had originally thought. But I made it. When I got there I was more than a little bit surprised, when I found out that there are some kind of a diesel generator inside running at full steam. The noise that is coming from with the walls is astounding. I have been reading that the DEW sites have been turn into a Northern Warning System or NWS. Back in the 90's, this topic really does interest me. There are four diesel storage tanks on the property, each that contain 75,000 L of fuel. I am sure that in a modern world that we live in there has to be a more enviromentally sound way to run what ever is inside that blue building. The outside of the small globes that are at ground level are covered in a white vinyl. I was reading that inside is either a short range radar or long range radar. More research is definately required. I was also taken back by the amount of security cameras watching everything and all the equipment.
So while I was walking across the bay, I took some random pictures of the fish smoking huts that dot the landscape. There is so many buildings that have been abandoned, and left to the elements. I am sure that if this was any other place in the world, maybe a more popular tourist destination that leaving boats frozen in the ice, or the oil platform from years of exploration would be forced to remove them. While I was walking across, off the shore about a km or so there was a very simple structure, with 4 caribou skins attached to it that was pretty neat. Then there are the abandoned log buildings the one up on the hill has a navigation beacon in front of it. In behind these buildings are random dog houses with sled dogs tied up to them. Out at the DEW site there was another 10 dogs each with their own dog house, with a small building near by.

No comments:

Post a Comment