Monday, May 17, 2010










Two years ago before I moved back to Ontario, I spent two months in Tofino B.C. Here are a few pics of the camp ground and the views around Tofino. When I left Kelowna, it was a quick and great choice. My friend Cody and I were having some beers in a buddies front yard chatting, and chilling typical afternoon in Kelowna. We started talking, and thought that a road trip was in order. Cody went home to pack, dropped me off at my place and I did the same. We met at my place, and the oil pump in Cody's truck was not working properly. So we went down to the city bus, and took it as far as we could to the city limits. Then it was only about twenty minutes or so until we got our first ride, and took us almost all the way to Vancouver. On the way it started raining, hitch hiking is hard when your 6'6" but hitch hiking when its raining and your 6'6" that is a whole nother ball game. But we did it. Spent the night in this really awesome hostel. The next day we had took the bus out to Horseshoe Bay, and took the ferry across to Vancouver Island.
The first place that we had to get to was Bretts house, in Cumberland. It took forever, could have been our fault though. Had some beers, we were walking and talking. Plus there really wasn't that much traffic. We did make it too Bretts place, and had a great time. It was a crazy party. Brett and his girlfriend are amazing DJ's.
Finally on our way to Tofino, we made it into the village. And no opening in any of the hostels. So this guy tells me about a camp ground just outside the village right on the ocean. Pooles Land the place was like something out of a history lesson. Micheal Poole started the camp ground in the early 60's, and has lived there ever since. People come and go some stay for years, others just a few months like I did. It was great, for 5$ a night, and a hour of your time per day. During my time there I was responsible for helping build a new deck on the main part of the cook house. The entire deck was built by hand, no power tools. Truly an exhilarating feeling.
During the days, there was so much to do. I got taught how to surf. It is F*&^@# hard, and it hurt like hell. But when you catch that first wave, and you actually stand on the board ride it out. All the falls are worth it. And let me tell you how cold the water in Tofino is, take a wet suit if your going. I also got a crab license there, and bought a trap. Every morning I would drop the trap with bait inside, the first few days were experiments in where to place the trap. But soon it was great and I found out that you can cook them by steaming them in their own shell. Nothing is better than fresh crab. Mom and Dad I am sure that from your time in the Bahama's you can attest to fresh sea food. The other things that come out of the ocean, like kelp, and these little green plants that grow on the rocks. I am not sure what they are called, but they are filled with this salty gel, and I was told that they are very high in protein. Plus they taste really good, and they are excellent in salads. But you have to get them right when the tides go out, otherwise they dry up. Then when the tides come back in they fill back out again. Neat little plants.
My time in Tofino was great, Pooles Land is heaven on earth filled with people who are open, and easy going. It was amazing, I will return one day. And I encourage everyone that ever goes to Vancouver Island to stop into Pooles Land,and camp for even just a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment