Saturday, May 15, 2010

I wonder if anybody that read this would know what it is like to live it a community that the rest of the world has left behind. I went for a walk today, a nice long one. It was so windy, the wind coming from the Artic Ocean it was blowing hard. More than a few times I had to put my head down then lean forward and that wind was holding me up. Anyways back to the main point. As you walk around and now that the snow is melting, it is really a shame to see the left overs from years of living. Scrap snow machines, ATVs, lumber, driftwood, garbage blowing in the wind. Where have I come? The edge of the earth, where people don't care about the environment? Growing up through the late 80's when the environmental movement first started, then all through the 90's with the 3 R's Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. That was 20 years ago, the modern day has left the north behind, there is a dump, that everything goes in. No separating anything. Disgusting!! It is quite a shame. I know that it costs money to get everything here, and it will cost money to get it out of here. But, But there is alot of money generated generated by drilling rigs, and the diamond mines.
I wonder why there is no recycling here? Could it not be stock piled for the months when there is no ice road? Then haul it out, instead of leaving it rust away. I really feel bad for mother nature here. There are boat motors frozen in the ocean, the rig platform from when ESSO was here still stand in the bay. Why? How do you forget all that steel in the Ocean? I guess the other this is with all this wind, and I read that they were looking into wind turbines here for clean power, but there is none.
The education here is also been left behind. I have seen it and spoke with teachers here. In southern Ontario if you miss school, there are questions asked? Where you were? Here there is nothing, students miss school, and there is nothing done. Some kids miss weeks and months, then are just put back into the same grade the same place, and nothing happens. It really is a shame. Because students here do not pay for anything, not the paper, not the pens, not the backpacks, nothing but they all take it for granted. If someone was to graduate from here, they can attend college or university and the Territory will pick up the cost of the schooling and living exspenses with out of their own community. WOW! How much money would we have saved, these student loans that I am still paying for(a serious pain in my back side) The only stipulation is that they must come back and work for the government when they are done school for a couple of years. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
I wonder what I can do?

No comments:

Post a Comment