Sunday, August 8, 2010

Last day in Fort Good Hope


This was completely worth the hike up to
This is Angelina
The red flowers can be mixed with water to create red paint
Fred and I standing on top of the cliff above the cabin
It was a long way to the top
the water level has dropped almost 10 ft in the last 2 weeks

So WOW, yesterday I had the day off. It was great, I will let the pictures do the talking. I woke up around noon perfect, and made some breakfast. Shortly after Angelina called she is Fredricks Mother. Anyways Angelina asked if I could help the fix the cabin. So I went out to the camp to help. A bear had made its way into the main cabin, through the back wall! So we repaired it, then had dinner. After dinner we hiked up to the top of the cliffs, and the view was amazing. On the way down I discovered an Artesian Well, so I had some water it was the best tasting water ever, and was already cold. This happens a lot up here I was told, the permafrost melting and making it way to the surface. When we got back to the camp Fredricks father asked us to clean out the net, so we did. There was like 10 Koni in it plus a couple of halibut, a pike and pickeral.  It took awhile to get all the fish out, and reset the net. The we went up the river to the rapids, called the Ramparts, and the most spectacular spot for camping! Just before the rapids, two rivers intersect. The Mackenzie and the Ramparts. The Ramparts runs directly from the mountains, and in the spring is a very fast flowing river.


Now you see it



Now you don't
This how strong the current is in the main channel of the Mackenzie River where the barges navigate up and down the river.  We went a little further up the river then went to the shore where Fred was telling me the there was fossils of turtle shells. WOW I thought, but it was actually round rocks that are marked just like a turtle.  On the way back we went by some of the same cliffs that I was at a few weeks ago, but the face had fallen off into the river.  Well I took a few more pictures on the way back to the camp, said good bye to Frank and Angelina, and Fred dropped me off at the point. That was a great day and a great way to remember Fort Good Hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment